On Windows, using the official Windows installation program is recommended. If you want to build your own installer, see Windows Installer.
Install on OSX¶
We are not currently distributing an installer for OSX. Instead, you must install Exaile via Homebrew. For more details, see the homebrew-exaile <https://github.com/exaile/homebrew-exaile> repo.
First you should install dependencies that are listed in the DEPS file.
On *nix-based systems (but not OSX), run the following command from the source code directory to install:
$ make # make install
The “make” step is optional and only compiles the modules and translations.
There is also an install_no_locale target if you wish to install without translations.
To uninstall exaile please run:
# make uninstall
from the same directory.
Note: normally it should be enough to set
PREFIX, and potentially
LIBINSTALLDIR on a 64-bit system. The additional variables can provide
further installation customization.
Environment variables that affect “make install”:
- The full path to the lib directory. Default:
- The full path to non-architecture dependent data files. Default:
- The full path to the parent of the man page installation directory (same as system DATADIR) Default:
- The executable installation prefix. Default:
- The main installation prefix. Default:
/usr/localNote: If this default is changed, you may need to set the LIBINSTALLDIR or XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variables to include the changed path. See .
- The directory to install system-wide config files in, following xdg spec. Default:
/etc/xdgNote: If this default is changed, you may need to set the XDG_CONFIG_DIRS environment variable to include the changed path. See .
- Destination directory to put the file structure under. Mainly of use for packagers. Default: not set (
- Default arguments that the ‘exaile’ launcher script (installed to
$PREFIX/bin/exaile) will pass to exaile on startup
Additional Resources: 1. XDG Base Directory Specification