On Windows, using the official Windows installation program is recommended. If you want to build your own installer, see Step four: Build the Windows installer.
Install on OSX¶
We are not currently distributing an installer for OSX. Instead, you must install Exaile via Homebrew. For more details, see the homebrew-exaile <https://github.com/exaile/homebrew-exaile> repo.
On *nix-based systems (but not OSX), run the following command from the source code directory to install:
$ make # make install
The “make” step is optional and only compiles the modules and translations.
There is also an install_no_locale target if you wish to install without translations.
To uninstall exaile please run:
# make uninstall
from the same directory.
Note: normally it should be enough to set
PREFIX, and potentially
LIBINSTALLDIR on a 64-bit system. The additional variables can provide
further installation customization.
Environment variables that affect “make install”:
- The full path to the lib directory. Default:
- The full path to non-arcitecture dependent data files. Default:
- The full path to the parent of the man page installation directory (same as system DATADIR) Default:
- The executable installation prefix. Default:
- The main installation prefix. Default:
/usr/localNote: If this default is changed, you may need to set the LIBINSTALLDIR or XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variables to include the changed path. See .
- The directory to install system-wide config files in, following xdg spec. Default:
/etc/xdgNote: If this default is changed, you may need to set the XDG_CONFIG_DIRS environment variable to include the changed path. See .
- Destination directory to put the file structure under. Mainly of use for packagers. Default: not set (
- Default arguments that the ‘exaile’ launcher script (installed to
$PREFIX/bin/exaile) will pass to exaile on startup
Additional Resources: 1. XDG Base Directory Specification